Books of January [2024]

The start of the year is such an exciting time. All of the magic of the holiday time dies down, and there is a place to take a breath of fresh air, slow down, and rethink goals, and wants for the new year. I've been doing a lot of thinking this month about what I want for the future and looking back to see where I came from.

How do you feel about the new year?

In January I read 8 books.
The year started out strong with The Atlas Six by Olivie Blake. I'm probably the last person to read this, but who cares. :) It's so different from the book I usually like. It has this moody dark academic atmosphere, that I got totally hooked on. I don't think I've ever read anything like it. The storyline is hidden behind the dialog and character building and it's just so good. I left the book with more unanswered questions than I started it with, so I'm looking forward to reading the next one. :)

I've read three romance books.
The Neighbor Wager by Crystal Kaswell, an enemies to lovers, spicy romance. It's a lovely story, with a bit of a different writing style. I liked it when I read it, but I kind of forgot about it since.

Losing My Breath by Rose J. Black is a military steamy romance. I liked the premise of this one, it touches on heavy subjects like PTSD and loving someone who is struggling, but the writing wasn't my favorite.

Hate Mail by Donna Marchetti is also an enemies to lovers romance - my favorite romance book of the month. The MCs have been pen pals since 5th grade, but their letters have never been nice or touching, they are mean and insulting and very funny. After two years of no letters, she gets a new one at work, and that spurs an adventure where she and her best friends travel all over, trying to find him. However, at the same time, she also starts to fall for her cute upstairs neighbor... so cute, funny, and steamy. I love it!
I've read two YA fantasies, and unfortunately, they were both disappointing. Remember Pompeii by Kika Emers has a really cool concept of immortals. One of them has been punished to live as a human until she learns her lesson. It's been centuries and she has yet to turn 17. I love the storyline, but the execution could have been better.

Werecats Emergets by Mark J. Engels is a story
of a family of werecats, that change under high stress, but the change comes with bad sides too. It's a very detailed built world, with its history, and magical structure, but its good side is also a bad one. With so many details I just got lost.
I don't know why I haven't read this sooner, but Fourth Wing by Rebecca Yarros is so good! I couldn't put it down. The dragons, the dangers, the underdogs, corrupt government. It has an echo of those ya fantasies that used to be so popular, but it's told in a fresh modern way. Highly recommended. Also, dragons!
Lastly, there is a new obsession, I got hooked on it along with K-dramas, K-pop, and now Manwha (I blame my niece:) ). She let me borrow Ennead by Mojito to read. It's the first volume of BL Manhwa that retells the story of Egyptian gods. It's so good, so addictive and the art is so pretty. 

I also started a new bookstagram. I'm in a better space and I want my social to represent that.  account. Do you have a bookstagram? Drop a handle below.

How did your month go?

Happy reading,
Anie




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Losing My Breath by J. Rose Black

Hate Mail by Donna Marchetti

The Law of Attraction by Laura Carter