Skip to main content

Hesi - Dating by Zoe Forward


book info
published
January 15th, 2024
number of pages
306

follow the book tour here

excerpt

A current hummed between us. An undeniable connection. I couldn’t remember a moment like this when I wanted to bury my hands in a woman’s hair and discover the taste of her lips. In past dating experiences, I had all the romance planned out in my head well ahead of time. Right now, I was running on spontaneity, which wasn’t one of my strengths when it came to relationships of the past. Maybe it was time I tried something different.

She pulled cash out of her mini-purse and held it out.

"That's too much."

"At least go halvsies." She shook the bills.

"Keep it. Call it a thank you for making my first date in a long time memorable."

She nibbled on her lip, an endearing quirk. "Okay, thanks. Walk me to my car. Then we’ll say goodbye."

We strolled up the hill away from the restaurant in silence, me slowing my long strides to allow her to keep up. The sound of my slightly uneven gait in cowboy boots, the slight scuffing of my right leg in comparison to the left, the one that had been shot, rang out in the silence between us. She'd notice.

I slow-released the breath I hadn't realized I was holding when she didn't say a word as we made our way up the hill.

With us almost to the point of saying goodbye, I felt a sense of desperation not to end the date. There’d been no one I'd talked to like this in forever. No one who saved me without asking for something in return. No one as insightful and refreshing. I lost my wife and the guy I considered my closest friend at the same time last year. In retrospect, neither of them had ever sat and just talked to me without judgement like Joley did tonight.

She slowed next to a crookedly parked gray Honda sedan. The butt of the car stuck out at an odd angle. In the light cast from a streetlight, I caught her cheek flush when she noticed me checking out the parking job.

"So I can’t parallel park." She lowered her voice to a whisper. "Please don’t tell the DMV."

"My lips are sealed." I held back a smile.

We stared at each other as if searching for words. Need powered through me. Need to keep talking to her. Need to feel everything with her. To touch her, kiss her—hell, I wanted physical reassurance that the electric attraction I felt was real. Maybe it’d be like this with any woman I dated from now on?

She cocked her head. That little smile was back on her lips. "We’re in different mental places right now. You’re not ready for me. Hot sex potential aside, you’re too messed up over your divorce for you and me to…"

I moved into her space to cut her off and leaned in until my lips were a fraction of an inch from hers. The pants of each of her breaths tickled my skin. She wanted me to kiss her. "We might be in different head spaces, but there’s something here. It's unexpected, but there's something real."

"Perhaps you're right." She moistened her lips.

I wanted the kiss, but I also wanted her to make the first move. This moment was her decision.

She rested a finger on my lower lip and ducked her head. "I won't be able to resist pushing you for everything if we start this. If I kiss you…" Her eyes met mine. "I won't stop. I don’t want to be your regret when you realize you jumped into something too soon. Usually, I wouldn't care. I'd grab this kind of thing, soak it up for a day or two, and walk away." She took one of my hands between both of hers. "I don't think you can handle something with this much chemistry that might turn insignificant fast. I'd hurt you, and you've already been hurt enough."

I stepped away when she let go of my hand, feeling like I'd lost a hell of a lot more than a kiss. "I’m real sorry I wasn't the greatest date tonight."

She gave me her cute, small smile again. "Me saying no right now has nothing to do with that." She opened her car door but turned my way before getting in. After a quick once-over she released a rough exhale. "This decision might turn out to be my biggest regret."

 synopsis

I warn all my dates: Don’t fall for me.
I’m good for a date or two of no-strings fun, but then I’m a ghost.

Until the sheriff. He saves me from a jerky ex-date. Now I owe him a favor. Almost a decade older than me, funny, and insanely attractive, my chemistry with Seth is off the charts. His post-divorce hurt makes me want to heal his wounded soul. For the first time in ever, I say no. He doesn’t deserve my heartbreaking ways. I tell myself I must walk away since me dating law enforcement is a no-can-do. I’m not a felon, but I do have connections from my past that make it dangerous. If I’m truthful, it’s self-preservation. Seth threatens to awaken the desiccated organ inside my chest.

Then he needs a favor.
Calling in favors becomes our not-dating game.

I should have stopped helping him. I should have left well enough alone. But I just couldn’t resist. I have a connection to this guy. One that has me acting irrationally. One that snags the attention of the gang leader I wished would leave me alone.
I want to nurture our burgeoning spark, but I must protect us from the deadly dangers of my past.

Hesi-dating features a hesitant sheriff, a player girl hiding a big heart and dangerous past, a lame horse, and the world’s worst home security dog. It stands alone and comes complete with sibling meddling, an awkward naked handcuffs scene, and a sweetly satisfying happily ever after.


about the author
USA Today bestselling author, parent, wife, veterinarian, chocolate lover. Author of spicy paranormal and contemporary romances. Zoe Forward brings readers the perfect combination of action adventure, romance, humor and a bit of magic.

Her novels have won numerous awards including the Prism, Readers’ Choice Heart of Excellence, Golden Quill, Carolyn Readers Choice Award, and the Booksellers’ Best Award.

You can find her residing in the South with a menagerie of four-legged beasts and two wild kids.

Website / Goodreads / Facebook / Twitter




happy reading,
anie


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

i want you to want me: Adam by Mary Ann Marlowe (Most Wanted #1)

It has all the right elements that make up a great rock star romance, but this one fell flat for me. I like the chemistry between them and the setup, so the first third of the book, but the rest... didn't do much for me.  She is a biochemist, working for a company that is developing an experimental perfume. She has a stable-ish life but is not happy. Her brother on the other hand is running after his dream. She is with him one night, as he has a performance, and starts talking to a guy. He doesn't seem like much, but there is something very attractive about him.  They spend the night together. The next morning, when she talks to her girlfriend, she realizes who he is.  I had high hopes for the MCs, but I had trouble connecting with the FMC, she comes across as very judge-y and she looks down on others. Her actions made me dislike her very much.   Adam on the other hand I liked from the start. He seems to be struggling with all the things that come from a life in...

If I Am Right, and I Know I Am: Inge Lehmann, the Woman Who Discovered Earth’s Innermost Secret by Hanne Strager

  A fascinating read! The life of a scientist with a peculiar personality,  A fascinating view of the discovery of something new, through the eyes of the person behind it. I love the writing, a light with a dash of humor - I found myself unable to put the book down.  Highly recommend it! rating ❤❤❤❤ cover ❤❤❤ GoodReads || Amazon happy reading, anie

Semantic Error by J. Soori, Art by Angy

The cutest story! Sangwoo lives by the rules he set for himself. He has a schedule and routines he follows religiously. His whole day is in disarray if anything were to mess with those. He is a computer major at a university. At a group project, when none of the team mates managed to contribute to the presentation, he did it himself and cut all of the other names, making them essential fail the class.  One of those teammates was Jaeyoung, a design major who failed to graduate because of that class. It ruined his plans to continue his studies abroad and made him very, very angry.  Sangwoo is working on a video game and needs a designer. His current one no longer has time and has recommended someone else. When they meet up, it's none other than Jaeyoung.  He is very determined to get back at him, and disrupts his routine, just to make him mad. What makes Jaeyoung the most mad, is the fact that Sangwoo fails to remember him, even though they meet many times. They even end up...